Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The good news is that the sky cleared up enough that we were able to leave Eagle Pass today. The bad news is that we got such a late start that we only got as far as Harlingen (or "Harlinger," as the town's name is mangled by our fearless non-native-English-speaking protagonist, Ricardo. Another example of Ricardo's prose from today: "Ayyy, Mandi. I'm sorry. That is the worst landing I ever had in many, many years." Oy vey! But I digress).

We had what felt like a long and torturous flight, trapped like ants under a magnifying glass as the sun blazed down on us and sapped us of all energy. And I have to admit that I was terrified. It'd been two years since I'd been in the lil Koliber and I forgot all the getting-used-to that it took last time. The headset crushes my head from all sides and my long legs have to be folded up and put away for three hours. The plane gets tossed around in the sky like a beach ball! Every dip and sideways skitter dumped my stomach through the floorboards. It's ridiculous to me that the thing flies at all... For chrissakes, it has a choke! A choke! Lawnmowers have chokes. I digress again.

I daresay we barely limped into Harlinger. But the fun started then. FBO lent us a sweet ride and we headed to our hostess Dayna's house where we were greeted by the Welcome Wagon with style! It's been a long day and I'm too exhausted to elaborate further.

Last word: I am in what I think is the most comfy cushy bed in South Texas. I'd better enjoy it because we are living the life of budget travelers starting tomorrow when we cross the border.

G'nite y'all! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment