Sunday, May 16, 2010

Instruments?! We don't need no stinking instruments!

My co-worker suggested I use http://flightaware.com to keep my readers updated on our whereabouts. Flightaware is a live flight tracking website. Sounds good. I thought I'd go check it out.

Flightaware's FAQs have this to say about our little coffee can with wings's limitations:
VFR flight plans are irrelevant and only used by FSS for search and rescue. We suggest ensuring that aircraft are on an IFR (instrument flight rules) flight plan from wheels up to wheels down for proper tracking.
Irrelevant?! Search and rescue?! The trusty little Koliber can only roll VFR. I don't think flightaware appreciates our idiosyncrasies...

6 comments:

  1. That being the case, here's how the convo will go:

    Me: Hey, I can see them from here!!!

    They: Really? I would like to see them too! Where?!

    Me: K, not really. I just wanted to feel special. But I do see a dot in the sky!!!

    They: Oh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to fly when I lived in Kerrville. Strictly VFR...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The humble and faithful Koliber, aka "Coffe Can with Wings"is fully IFR and capable of flying all kind of weather, since is equipped with dual VOR's (Very High Frequency Omni Range) DME (Distance Measurement Equipment), NDB (Non Directional Beacon) and ADF ( Automatic Direction Finder), in addition of dual Coms., Altimeter, Speed Indicator, Vertical Speed Indicator, Attitude Indicator, Turn Coordinator, Heading Indicator, many engine gauges and now, in addition to the always present and dependable Compass, a state of the art GPS with moving charts ... just in case, because we preferred to fly VFR and enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyyy Ricardo to the defense of the trusty Koliber! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mandi, should I be more worried about the coffee can or the seafood? I am sure Ricardo is quite capable and you guys will have a fantastic trip. Don't be too offended by Flight Aware, it's true that you would have to be on an IFR flight plan in order to be tracked. On VFR flight plans, you aren't being passed from controller to controller, someone will only check on you if you fail to show up at your intended desitination. The benefit of VFR is as Ricardo says, to "enjoy the view," and make some of your own decisions with regards to altitude and routing. And I say go for the ceviche! At a different restaurant.

    ReplyDelete